The surrounding mountains are so green!
The surrounding mountains are so green!

Day 5

This morning I awoke to realize that it had rained the night before. Not much, but enough to tramp down the dust, and make the rainfly of the tent wet.

I proceeded to pack my belongings in the tent until it was ready to break down the tent. I checked for internet one last time, and it had not yet come up again, so I abandoned all efforts of updating any more photo’s from the night before.

Once packed, I sat around camp for a bit. I was to meet Doug at the Super 8 Motel at 8am to make our way to Watson Lake.

At 7:45, I finally geared up, and pulled out. Arriving at the motel about 5 minute later, I found Doug finishing up his packing, and soon we were on our way.

The morning started off very overcast and cool. Much different from the warm sunny evening we experienced the evening before.

As we made our way down the Alaska Highway, we began to climb into the mountains, slowly the clouds became closer and closer, and eventually we surrounded by the thick moisture of clouds as the road continued to climb.

Eventually, we finally made our way back down, stopping shortly for some photo’s where I ran into Betty and her husband, the couple from New York that I had met the night before.

She was happy to see me again, and wanted to take my picture by my bike. So I politely obliged to her request while she took photo’s of me by my bike, with the vast expanse of the Northern Rockies as the backdrop.

Once back on the road, we tried to put miles behind us, but started to stop often for pictures of various mountains until the rain started.

We ran into a wall of rain, a wall that stayed with us for much of the time, only giving us slight breaks here and there.

There were some amazingly beautiful views of rivers, lakes and mountains that I would have loved to have captured, but the rain forced us to press onward.

That looks promising...
That looks promising...

We finally caught another break, just before Toad River. We fueled up, and took a quick look at the hat collection they have acquired over the years. Over 7000 hats from travelers from all over the world have dropped their hat off at Toad River.

We pressed on again, and stopped atop a ridge overlooking the valley. Directly in front of us was blackness. The blackness of rain in which I have not seen in several years.

We both put on extra gear to tackle this next stage, and continued on.

We passed several beautiful rivers, several amazing lakes that stretched along the highway. Much of which I would have loved to have taken a photo of again, but the rain pressed us onward.

Eventually, I was able to get some photo’s after breaking free of the wetness.

It wasn’t long beyond this, that we would finally cross over into the Yukon. We were officially now in the Yukon Territories, and Watson Lake was not far ahead.

Stone Mountain, or what I like to call "One Big Rock!"
Stone Mountain, or what I like to call "One Big Rock!"

We entered Watson Lake and fueled our bikes. Deciding that we would camp at the Junction 37 Full Service Station that is located 10 miles west of town at the intersection of the Alaska Highway and the Cassiar Highway.

But before heading out, we make our stop at the Sign Post Forest, and took some pictures. I even got one of me under a Seattle sign. I was surprised we even found it.

Interestingly enough, where I decided to park, the sign to one of Doug’s nearby towns was directly in front of his bike. Needless to say, he was excited about this, and I took his picture for him. Something he can hang on his wall at home.

We eventually left, and rode the 10 miles to Junction 37.

Junction 37 has seen better days. Described as a full service park, with restaurant and saloon, all that remains is the campground with RV hookups in a state of disarray.

There is much to offer from this facility, if it was fully operational.

The Cafe and Saloon are both closed, the service shop as well.

The camping was cheap, 15.75, and they have showers and laundry facilities, so that works in my favor.

The Yukon is THIS BIG!
The Yukon is THIS BIG!

We unpacked and setup camp, and Doug got out his mosquito lantern, a device he bought at a Walmart.

The lantern actually works well, and is not that expensive. He said he paid 16 bucks for it, and the cartridge of butane is supposed to last 16 hours. The pads are to be changed out every 4.

Hopefully I can locate one of these in Whitehorse. It would be nice to have for when I go North to Inuvik.

We cooked up our dinners eventually, and talked about various topics while sipping on gin and tonics prepared by Doug.

Eventually as the evening pressed on, it was time to call it a night.

Tomorrow we will be pushing our way into Whitehorse. The weather has been great, and it will be nice to be in a decent sized city to stock up on a few things and hopefully locate some blanks to have spare keys made for my bike.

Seattle! At the Sign Post Forest in Watson Lake
Seattle! At the Sign Post Forest in Watson Lake
Previous post

Arctic Expedition: Day 4

Next post

Arctic Expedition: Day 6

The Author


No Comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.