My Old Friend: Part 2 – The Rebirth of an XT
On to part 2 of this adventure, today I’m going to go over last nights work that was done.
I took a couple days off from starting this project overall. I wanted to take the time to research a few things, plan my attack on the project, and think of what I want for an outcome. I spend a lot of time going over in my head, what exactly I would like to perform, prior to doing the job. It helps me push myself through it, to get to the final outcome.
Last night, I tore into the fuel system of the bike, mainly just the fuel tank bits. I want to start working on the restoration of the fuel tank, petcock, and carburetor ASAP, as there are certain steps that take a while.
So last night, I pulled off all of the hardware off of the tank, and started the long task of restoration on it. I’ll type up more later about the tank restoration once it is completed. I actually posted a writeup in a thread in the Mechanical forum of the steps I take to restoring a tank. This one requires a bit of TLC. Not the worst of them, but definitely up there on the list.
I pulled the fuel cap apart, it was terrible. It was rusted, corroded, and overall, barely worked well. I soaked it in oil since Sunday, and last night I was able to free it up enough that it worked. I then soaked it in WD40 for an hour, brushed off as much of the big chunks of corrosion, and set it in a bucket of Metal Ready.
Petcock was pulled apart, inspected, cleaned up, and put to the side.
This morning I ordered a Carb rebuild kit and petcock rebuild kit.
So not a whole lot accomplished, just little things. Next things to do is continue on the Tank Restore, and do a compression and leak down test on the motor, followed by valve check and adjustments if necessary.
Here are some Photo’s though of the project.
And the last photo…
I had that wheel respoked years ago. The idiot who respoked it, respoked it backwards, so the tire was shifted to 1 side. Needless to say, I had it respoked before I moved to Oregon, and just never really gave a damn. It rubbed the tire against the chain guard, and caused the chain to hit against the rear tire some at times, but *shrug* I’m still alive :p.
I need to get this respoked again… Just to fix this damned problem. I’d do it myself, but well, ask Jerome how well I am at truing a rim…
Welp, that’s it for today! Until Next time!